Homeless Education

Homelessness Logo



2016-2017  State Count:    PA: 30,264           Region 6:  1,504


Average Age of a homeless person: 9.


Average Age of a homeless person in Pennsylvania: 11


Your homeless liaison is Mr. Brad Hatch.


If you live in any of these situations, you could be displaced or homeless:  doubled-up, camper, tent, car, abandoned building.


Events that may cause you to become displaced/ homelessness:   Eviction, Illness, Fire, Parents divorce or separate and you need to leave your home, Kicked out, Runaway due to a situation.


Homelessness is in every School District, every school building, in every grade level.

Pennsylvania's Education for Children and Youth Experiencing Homelessness Program was established to make sure homeless youth have access to a free and appropriate public education while removing barriers that homeless children face. Its goal is to have the educational process continue as uninterrupted as possible while the children are in homeless situations.

For additional information on the services provided by the Altoona Area School District, please contact:

Julie Roberts
Administrative Assistant to Assistant Superintendent Brad Hatch, AASD Homeless Liaison
Telephone:  814-946-8218
Email:  [email protected]

REGION 6             

Region 6 consists of 11 counties (Armstrong, Blair, Cambria , Cameron, Centre, Clearfield , Clinton, Elk, Indiana, Jefferson and Potter), which includes 55 school districts and 20 shelters.  The Regional Coordinator for the Pennsylvania's Education for Children and Youth Experiencing Homelessness Program is based out of the Armstrong-Indiana Intermediate Unit 28 (ARIN) in Indiana County. The Site Coordinator is based out of Central Intermediate Unit 10 Family Center in Centre County, State College.  

Region 6's goal is to target the needs of homeless children, youth and their families.  The goal is to provide educational assistance and support to children living in transitional situations such as homeless shelters, domestic violence shelters and other temporary housing situations and to provide as much stability as possible for children and youth who are experiencing homelessness.  This is done via the McKinney-Vento Law which states that homeless children and youth receive equal access to a free, appropriate public education as would be provided to other residents and be consistent with state attendance laws.

The coordinators work in collaboration with the school districts and shelter/transitional housing providers to ensure continuity, while the children are in homeless situations.  This is done in several ways and not limited to:
  • Training school district liaisons and shelter providers 
  • Technical assistance
  • Personal visits to sites
  • Distribution of literature
  • School enrollment and placement issues 
  • Referrals for clothing, food, shelter, transportation and other related services
For additional information on the services provided in Region 6, please contact:
ARIN Intermediate Unit #28
Andrea Sheesley
Regional Coordinator
Telephone:  724-463-5300 ext. 1235
Email: [email protected]
Maureen Bourke
Site Coordinator
Telephone:  724-463-5300 ext. 1208
Email:  [email protected]                
For additional information on Homeless Education, please visit the PA Department of Education's Homeless Education page at:  https://www.education.pa.gov/K-12/Homeless%20Education/Pages/default.aspx
NCHE operates the U.S. Department of Education's technical assistance and information center for the federal Education for Homeless Children and Youth (EHCY) Program.