The Altoona Area School District’s English as a Second Language (ESL) Program seeks to ensure that all students are provided with a quality education. The AASD utilizes the PDE BEC for ESL as the primary source for its program goals and objectives. The goals for the English as a Second Language Program are to:
- Teach Listening, Speaking, Reading, and Writing skills to each student in the English as a Second Language (ESL) Program.
- Facilitate English language acquisition through the communication skills used to read, write, speak and understand others and reinforce the general education curriculum.
- Assist all English Learners (ELs) in accessing content area instruction while learning English, so they can remain at grade level and make progress toward grade level competency in content areas.
- Incorporate students into content classes using multiple assessment criteria.
- Monitor for two years the progress of former ELs who have exited the ESL Program to determine if additional alternative language instruction is needed.
- Familiarize the EL with the varied cultures and customs of the United States while promoting their own ethnic pride.
- Help the EL student to learn and understand the social behaviors of school and community and to use the appropriate language and behavior to communicate and interact successfully.
- Communicate consistently with regular classroom teachers, school administrators and counselors, pertinent support staff, and parents to address the learning and emotional needs of EL students in a holistic manner.
- Meet yearly with school-based ESL Teams (ESL Teacher, Content Teachers, Guidance, Administrator and other relevant personnel) to determine if the ESL student is making progress.
- Evaluate PHLOTEs with the WIDA Screener to determine ESL enrollment, placement, and instruction.
- Assess ESL student yearly with the WIDA ACCESS for ELLs 2.0.
All staff are responsible for the fair and equitable education for ELs. We are a community of teachers fostering growth in a community of learners.
Asst. Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction
Federal Programs Director
ESL Program Specialist
Elementary, Pre-K to 6th grade
814-946-8397, ext. 5147
ESL Program Specialist, Family Consumer Sciences
Junior & Senior High, 7th to 12th grade
814-381-7500, ext. 7213