Certified school nurses are employed by the district to implement the school health program, which includes:
- Annual vision screening for all students.
- Annual heights and weights for all students.
- Annual hearing screening for all students K-3, 7, 11, and special education students.
- Medical examinations by school or family physicians for all students newly enrolled in kindergarten or first grade, sixth grade, and eleventh grade. A private physical exam completed within one year prior to a student's entry into the grade where an exam is required is acceptable.
- Dental examinations by school or family dentist for all students newly enrolled in kindergarten or first grade, third grade, and seventh grade. A private exam completed within one year prior to a student's entry into the grade where an exam is required is acceptable.
- Scoliosis examinations by school or family physicians, or school nurse, for all students in grades six and seven.
- Referral to physicians, dentists, and appropriate agencies for follow-up care.
- Immunization Program - auditing records, notices for immunizations needed.
- Providing for first aid.
- Inspection of children as needed to lessen the spread of communicable conditions.
- Communication with parents regarding anything affecting the health of the child, and regarding re-entry to school following significant illnesses and/or injuries.
- Promotion of good health habits through health education.
- Maintaining health records on all students.
- Providing medications and/or medical procedures as prescribed by a licensed health care provider or dentist.